Author Topic: The Minor Moan thread  (Read 129693 times)

Chafing Dish

Re: The Minor Moan thread
« Reply #2280 on: March 01, 2012, 03:07:23 pm »
That's rather inconvenient. However, palettes are extremely useful to some people. Like those who work in oil paints. Perhaps you have a neighbor?

Oh, pallet:facepalm: Er... I'm sure those are good for something. Like if you have a cellar that tends to flood.

Offline evanj

• View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: March 01, 2012, 06:53:51 pm »
This morning I took delivery of a few hundred CDs  :cool: which came in four cardboard boxes shrinkwrapped to a large heavy wooden pallet. I asked the delivererer whether he wouldn't mind waiting a few seconds (it did take literally a few seconds) while I removed the wrapping and took the boxes, so that he could put the pallet back in his truck and take it away. No, he said, then got in and drove off.

ambrotia

« Reply #2282 on: March 01, 2012, 08:25:29 pm »
Nooooo! This is what you do with them (jealous)

Offline MabelJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: March 01, 2012, 08:41:47 pm »
Or this chair:

Or this plate-rack:

The possibilities are endless!

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: March 02, 2012, 01:30:23 pm »
Just had to complete my annual work appraisal self-assessment. What a tiresome, corporate BS waste of time... I mean, how many boxes do I have to fill in and come up with a different way of saying "I'm good at my job"?! Yawnnnnnnnnn.

Offline Morticia

• Administrator
  • The words you speak become the house you live in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: March 02, 2012, 01:36:45 pm »
Try to look at it this way Jim, at least that's one lot of tedious BS that you won't have to re-visit for a whole year :laughter3:

You also qualify for one of these ... :beer: On second thoughts, make it  :beer: :beer:

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: March 02, 2012, 02:15:08 pm »
Try to look at it this way Jim, at least that's one lot of tedious BS that you won't have to re-visit for a whole year :laughter3:

I wish.... There's the meeting with line manager in about a month when we go through it all again and set "objectives" for the next year (my main objective is to leave, but my back-up objective if that doesn't work out is to get through another 12 months without losing the will to live!). More yawwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

You also qualify for one of these ... :beer: On second thoughts, make it  :beer: :beer:

Well, as I'm sure members Powell, bryn and autoharp can confirm, I'm not much of a drinker and only ever really touch the stuff after some live Sorabji, for some reason!  :laughter3: But thanks, I'll leave them behind the bar in readiness!

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:52 pm »
Chuggers
I didn't even know there was a special word for them, let alone such a beautifully descriptive one...  :facepalm:

After the various posts a month ago about chuggers, this piece on chugging (and a growing backlash!) caught my eye over at Grauniad Towers.

Offline Morticia

• Administrator
  • The words you speak become the house you live in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: March 06, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »
Not before bloomin' time either. Hurrumph!

Offline MabelJane

• View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: March 06, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »
"I got £7 an hour, plus £30 for every sign-up you got after the eighth, which meant that the better fund-raisers were on a stupendously good wage."

:o >:(

Offline Don Basilio

• era solo un mio sospetto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: March 13, 2012, 06:27:06 pm »
Right we were all set for a weekend away in France and decided on the hotels and the ferry crossings.

Sancho kindly looked out the passports.

My passport expired last month.

O.
We can exercise compassion, compassion born of empathy.  Both words are synonyms for love, by which I don’t mean a romantic feeling but the readiness to give proper attention to whoever or whatever is before our eyes.  Michael Mayne

ambrotia

« Reply #2291 on: March 13, 2012, 06:44:45 pm »
Oh that's annoying Don B - can it be fixed in time?

Offline JSC

• View Profile
    • words for music / words for world
« Reply #2292 on: March 13, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »
You can fast-track a passport renewal application - it costs £112.50 for the one-week service. Seems a lot, but the normal 4- to 6-week service costs £77.50 so it's not that much difference, I guess.

There's a same-day "Premium" service too but I just checked the directgov website for the cost and it says the Premium service isn't available for renewals, only new passports. I don't think that's true though: the only reason I know about any of this is that a friend recently posted on Facebook that she'd arrived at the airport for a trip to Bali and been refused boarding because her passport had less than 6 months left on it. Someone advised her to re-book her flight for the following afternoon and get an emergency renewal appointment the next morning, which she was able to do.

If you've not actually booked yet, though, I'd go for the one-week option and then at least you still get a holiday this month.
Auch Engeln sind immer unterwegs.

Offline martle

• Green Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: March 13, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »
Gosh, all this is really useful and timely! I knew my passport was due to expire soon and I just looked: 27th June. I'm going to need it well before then, so I'd better get on the case...
Green. Always green.

Offline Don Basilio

• era solo un mio sospetto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:50 pm »
It was just a nostalgic weekend away to avoid Mothering Sunday at church and enjoy a decadent Grande Plateau de Fruits de Mer during Lent, but we'll have a few days out in the UK, and plan to go abroad when we get the new car.  It would be a pain the dashboard light telling us to go to the nearest Audi dealer when we're in the middle of Normandie.

Luckily we hadn't booked a thing.

We're thinking of a day trip to Chichester Cathedral and Pallant House on Sunday, and maybe a trip to Rutland to see the original of some John Piper prints.
We can exercise compassion, compassion born of empathy.  Both words are synonyms for love, by which I don’t mean a romantic feeling but the readiness to give proper attention to whoever or whatever is before our eyes.  Michael Mayne