Author Topic: Anish Kapoor at Kensington Gardens  (Read 569 times)

Offline Thompson1780

• View Profile
Anish Kapoor at Kensington Gardens
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:21:20 pm »
Yesterday and the day before I went to see AK's 4 sculptures at Kensington Gardens.  You can see them in a lunchtime, so why did I go on two days?  Well, Wednesday was overcast and yesterday was cloudy but bright.

Why does that matter?  Well, the sculptures are highly polished metal shapes which reflect the sky and park.  The experience is more about the reflection than the shape.

Red sky disc is in the round pond.  It is a disc about 10ft wide with a concave surface, standing on its edge, but with the concave face slightly tilted toward the sky.  It is covered in a red film.  Standing in front of the concave face you get to see the sky, very clearly, as though it has been caught and dropped into the round pond.

Turn round, and look across the serpentine and you will see Sky disc.  This is a larger version, and not red.  It looks like a huge disc of sky sitting by the edge of the lake, and is very calming.  But if you cross the bridge and walk round the back, you get to see the convex side.  From the path, you appear at the top of the disc as a small being.  The distance between you and the disc is small, but takes up most of the 10m wife disc you are looking at.  Very disconcerting.

C curve is between red sky disc and the Albert memorial.  It is a wall which when viewed from above would be a c shape.  The outside edge of the c is convex, so looking at that side is like viewing yourself through a wide angle lens.  The inside of the c is concave.  You see everything upside down and either side is a frame where the centre reflection is repeated.

But the best is non-thing, which is near the statue of physical energy.  It is a spike.  Draw the curve y=(x-10)2 and rotate about the y axis.  That's the shape.  The peak itself is about 10 ft high.

Near to, you see just the sky and park.  Really near, you can look down and see yourself too.  But stand away and the spike reflects itself - the point is reflected in the base of the spike.  A few yards away it is very sharp, but walk away further and it becomes fatter, more triangular...

Fascinating.  Not often you get art which impels you to walk around.

Worth a view, come rain or shine.

Tommo

Antheil

Re: Anish Kapoor at Kensington Gardens
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 12:52:36 pm »
I would love to see this but imagine it may be somewhat disorientating to see the world upside down.  There is a picture gallery which was in Monday's Guardian.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2010/sep/27/anish-kapoor-kensington-gardens-sculpture#/?picture=367086500&index=0

Offline perfect wagnerite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Anish Kapoor at Kensington Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:00:27 pm »
I'd completely missed this one, but I'll definitely make the effort to get along.  As I mentioned on an earlier thread, C-Curve spent three weeks sitting on top of the South Downs during the Brighton Festival last year, clearly visible from Schloss PW, and it's certainly arresting - if rather disorienting when experienced close up.
As a young man I harbored the populist idea of writing for the public. I learned that the public didn't care. So I decided to write for myself. Since then people have gotten interested - Elliott Carter