Author Topic: Today's Barking News Story  (Read 107098 times)

Selva Oscura

Re: Today's Barking News Story
« Reply #1905 on: February 07, 2012, 08:32:56 pm »
The figure of 0.5% I'd find difficult to accept. The ONLY family we know with a free car and the daughter uses it to go to work
Showing a rather shaky grasp of statistics there if you don't mind me saying, John.

Offline John W

• View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: February 07, 2012, 09:26:38 pm »
The figure of 0.5% I'd find difficult to accept. The ONLY family we know with a free car and the daughter uses it to go to work
Showing a rather shaky grasp of statistics there if you don't mind me saying, John.

Of course I don't mind you saying. Put another way 100% of the familes we know who get a free car use it to go to work, quite ironic really, the family member who CAN work gets to use the free car  :-\

Another of our neighbours works hard every week and just affords to run a very old VW Golf. Now what would he say if I suggested 'Get rid of that old thing and spend £240 a month leasing a new one.....'

Selva Oscura

« Reply #1907 on: February 07, 2012, 09:41:52 pm »
Put another way 100% of the familes we know who get a free car use it to go to work, quite ironic really, the family member who CAN work gets to use the free car
By that logic, if you lived next door to an astronaut or a mass murderer you'd be going round refusing to believe that such people were anything unusual.

Offline perfect wagnerite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: February 07, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »
The figure of 0.5% I'd find difficult to accept.

The source is a DWP statistical report - http://statistics.dwp.gov.uk/asd/asd2/dlafraudjuly05.pdf
As a young man I harbored the populist idea of writing for the public. I learned that the public didn't care. So I decided to write for myself. Since then people have gotten interested - Elliott Carter

Offline John W

• View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: February 07, 2012, 10:00:40 pm »
Put another way 100% of the familes we know who get a free car use it to go to work, quite ironic really, the family member who CAN work gets to use the free car
By that logic, if you lived next door to an astronaut or a mass murderer you'd be going round refusing to believe that such people were anything unusual.

Well, we do have quite a few unusual neighbours.... but clearly in UK there are many more DLA recipients than there are mass murderers or astronauts, and the one we know.....

Anyway, just bringing back what I grumped about, if the person/family can afford to give up part of their DLA (I expect about HALF of it, say £200 a month) to lease a car then that suggests they 'can afford to' give it up, so in that way they are getting a benefit payment AND a free car, AND insurance, AND road tax, AND servicing (that might be another £200 free).

Neighbour Jack couldn't swop his Golf for that.

Offline perfect wagnerite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: February 08, 2012, 12:53:36 pm »
As a young man I harbored the populist idea of writing for the public. I learned that the public didn't care. So I decided to write for myself. Since then people have gotten interested - Elliott Carter

Selva Oscura

« Reply #1911 on: February 08, 2012, 01:21:11 pm »
Intelligence-led policing
A police source told The Daily Telegraph: "We've had a couple of funnies lately, but all taken in good spirit." Jolly good thing nobody got killed, what?

Ted Ryder

« Reply #1912 on: February 08, 2012, 01:46:37 pm »
Intelligence-led policing
  "Is that you Eccles?"
 "No, I'm Bloodnok"
 "Are you sure you're Bloodnok"
 "I don't know- I'll have another look...... yeeees... yes it's me I've wearing my favourite utility under-pants labelled "Col. Bloodnok" "
 "Then who is it that keeps running around in circles?"
 " Perhaps it's Bluebottle"
 "I'm Bluebottle!"
 " Are you sure"
 " Hang on , I'll ask Seago ' Am I Me Seago?"...... Hello Bloodnok, Seago is singing "Bread of Heaven " at the moment"
 " Bluebottle-call for a Bluebottle at once ( or even twice.)

Offline MabelJane

• View Profile

Offline martle

• Green Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: February 08, 2012, 05:32:30 pm »
Brilliant, MJ!  :D
Green. Always green.

Offline MabelJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: February 08, 2012, 05:58:13 pm »
Thanks Martle, I'm glad someone else understands it!

Fake rhino escaping:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16950361
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:02:06 pm by MabelJane »

Offline John W

• View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: February 08, 2012, 07:03:11 pm »

Indeed spot on MJ  :)  It is either Two Woozles and one, as it might be, Wizzle, or Two, as it might be, Wizzles and one, if so it is, Woozle.

Selva Oscura

« Reply #1917 on: February 08, 2012, 07:27:43 pm »
I did too, miss!

Online JSC

• View Profile
    • words for music / words for world
« Reply #1918 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:45 pm »
Auch Engeln sind immer unterwegs.

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: February 13, 2012, 11:08:25 am »
Remember folks, when on the run from Interpol, it's probably best not to post your holiday photos on Facebook:facepalm: