Author Topic: Today's Barking News Story  (Read 117065 times)

Offline perfect wagnerite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Barking News Story
« Reply #1950 on: March 04, 2012, 04:26:35 pm »
As a young man I harbored the populist idea of writing for the public. I learned that the public didn't care. So I decided to write for myself. Since then people have gotten interested - Elliott Carter

Offline oliver sudden

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: March 04, 2012, 04:51:47 pm »
I thought "London Luton" airport was a bit of a misnomer, but London Southend? What's next, London Leeds Bradford?
How about Frankfurt-Hahn? 110 km from Frankfurt, I'm told. Could just as well be called Luxembourg-Hahn.

Offline ahinton

• View Profile
    • The Sorabji Archive
« Reply #1952 on: March 04, 2012, 05:49:43 pm »
I thought "London Luton" airport was a bit of a misnomer, but London Southend? What's next, London Leeds Bradford?
No - London Birmingham, apparently, according to certain sour comments upon the outcomes of the proposed new medium-speed rail link between those two cities...

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile

Offline John W

• View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 05, 2012, 07:46:26 pm »
No - London Birmingham, apparently, according to certain sour comments upon the outcomes of the proposed new medium-speed rail link between those two cities...

Hmmm, I've been looking at the maps for HS2 route through Warks and so I've just looked west towards the Brum Airport area. A new railway station is planned 2km from the airport - on the map is says 'New Birmingham Exchange Station' - so, clearly they don't want to call it Bickenhill Station which is where it is located, in the borough of Solihull.... and I don't think the name Birmingham Exchange will stick.....

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:10 pm »
This one's more a question of civic pride than distance but I'm reminded of the almost apoplectic reaction of my Dutch friend when I showed him the website of Basiq Air with its cheap flights to Amsterdam (Rotterdam).  I'd almost convinced myself I was afflicted with false memory again but, no, I've managed to find a route map online for the now-defunct company:

http://www.airlineroutemaps.com/Europe/Basiq_Air.shtml

Basiq Air has now been incorporated into parent company Transavia, who will fly you to or from Rotterdam/The Hague - which is, I presume, the same airport as Amsterdam (Rotterdam).

Selva Oscura

« Reply #1956 on: March 05, 2012, 09:56:55 pm »
Transavia, who will fly you to or from Rotterdam/The Hague - which is, I presume, the same airport as Amsterdam (Rotterdam).
Rotterdam was often my airport of choice for flying to London when I lived in Amsterdam - it was often the cheapest way before the modern budget-airline trend began, and it's a tiny airport you can get through in a few minutes (or could in those days). It's about 75km from Amsterdam though (about the same distance as from Hamburg to "Hamburg Lübeck" airport).

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:32 pm »
Transavia, who will fly you to or from Rotterdam/The Hague - which is, I presume, the same airport as Amsterdam (Rotterdam).
Rotterdam was often my airport of choice for flying to London when I lived in Amsterdam - it was often the cheapest way before the modern budget-airline trend began, and it's a tiny airport you can get through in a few minutes (or could in those days). It's about 75km from Amsterdam though (about the same distance as from Hamburg to "Hamburg Lübeck" airport).

Yes, Selva.  I'm sure my friend would have considered it an option were it not for the effrontery of the airline in calling Rotterdam airport, of all places, Amsterdam.  I'm told the rivalry between the two cities is analogous to Liverpool/Manchester, Newcastle/Sunderland or Edinburgh/Glasgow.

While on the subject, I've always found it odd that arch-fantasist Ryanair doesn't call either of its Netherlands airports 'Amsterdam'.  Eindhoven and Maastricht are both a long way from Amsterdam, but not nearly as far as Weeze is from Duesseldorf or, as ollie observes Hahn from Frankfurt.   

Offline oliver sudden

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: March 06, 2012, 10:47:49 am »
I'm told the rivalry between the two cities is analogous to Liverpool/Manchester, Newcastle/Sunderland or Edinburgh/Glasgow.
There's a Köln/Bonn airport but not a Köln/Düsseldorf airport ;) (well, anyway, the Düsseldorf airport is on the other side of Düsseldorf)

While on the subject, I've always found it odd that arch-fantasist Ryanair doesn't call either of its Netherlands airports 'Amsterdam'.  Eindhoven and Maastricht are both a long way from Amsterdam, but not nearly as far as Weeze is from Duesseldorf or, as ollie observes Hahn from Frankfurt.   
The use of Düsseldorf-Weeze by the operators was stopped even though the airport is 'only' 70km from Düsseldorf. Ryanair still use it. Of course. (What was the slogan again? 'Flying you from nowhere near where you are to nowhere near where you want to go'?)

Offline Bryn

• aka Nethersage
    • View Profile

Offline Thompson1780

• View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:15 pm »
This is brilliant. I love some of the comments.

Tommo

simon howard

« Reply #1962 on: March 08, 2012, 02:55:11 pm »
This is brilliant. I love some of the comments.

Tommo

:o Thank goodness he wasn't riding a bicycle while strumming his banjo http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7095134.stm

Offline Ubu-Impudicus

• Never forget we walk on hell, gazing at flowers.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 08, 2012, 05:04:13 pm »

Or cleaning windows                 ;)

simon howard

« Reply #1964 on: March 13, 2012, 09:37:29 am »
Damaging new claims have emerged about the funding of Nicolas Sarkozy's 2007 election campaign and his links with former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi emerged.

The French investigative website Mediapart claims to have seen a confidential note suggesting Gaddafi contributed up to €50m (£42m) to Sarkozy's election fund five years ago.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/12/gaddafi-contributed-sarkozy-2007-election?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038