Author Topic: British Composer Awards 2011 shortlist  (Read 2936 times)

Offline JSC

• View Profile
    • words for music / words for world
Auch Engeln sind immer unterwegs.

Offline RobertD

• View Profile
Re: British Composer Awards 2011 shortlist
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:21:14 am »
 :tick:

(Also - I'm pretty sure Tim Minchin is not English. At the very least, he all growed up in Austraya.)

simon howard

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:28:50 am »
Five Larkin Songs.

Selva Oscura

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 07:39:09 am »

Offline marbleflugel

• 'The Moment this pub closes the revolution starts'
    • View Profile
    • forum london composers group
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:00 am »
....well, sometimes subversive stuff can be smuggled in under an inoffensive title :naughty:
Lucy Pankhurst, Anna Meredith :cool:  Huw Watkins is ok iirc . 3 of my buddies didnt make the cut in the band category and that must raise the bar quite high. As Sarah Rodgers says being reviewed by peers, and the interest in new work that a 'competition' raises in the mainstream  is the thing here rather than the gong in the long-term I'd have thought.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:36:54 am by marbleflugel »

Offline Roehre

• View Profile
Ars longa, vita brevis

simon howard

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:18:38 am »
It has something of the look of the Forward Prize for Poetry, where the only reason Tweedledum hasn't won a prize is because it's Tweedledee's turn. Or the Picador Prize for Poetry, where Don Paterson takes a brief rest from receiving the Forward Prize for Poetry & "New poet wins the chance to have his first collection brought out by Picador, edited by Don Paterson."

Just my opinion of the Forward Prize for Poetry & the Picador Prize for Pottery, of course :).

http://www.forwardartsfoundation.org/poetryprizewinners.htm

Offline ahinton

• View Profile
    • The Sorabji Archive
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:30:16 am »
On receiving an award in an earlier year of this annual Brit composers' supposed equivalent to the BAFTAs, Grammys, Oscars and the rest, one of this year's contenders, Anthony Payne, remarked that he'd never previously won any prize or award of any kind and, since he must have been around 70 when he said this, the extent to which they have any meaningful relevance in the long run is presumably clear.

Offline JSC

• View Profile
    • words for music / words for world
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:52:46 am »
Goodness you're a miserable bunch aren't you? There's at least a handful of excellent pieces/composers on that list. I was up for a nuanced/detailed discussion about things that we might have liked to see included but that weren't, or things on the list that raised eyebrows (there are at least a couple of those for me), but if you're all just going to dismiss the list full stop then I'll go and talk about it somewhere else.

By the way, anyone can nominate works. If you want to change the kind of music that gets shortlisted then why not at least try nominating something yourselves next year? (If you did and it didn't get through, then I have more sympathy of course. But I bet no one here did.)

On receiving an award in an earlier year of this annual Brit composers' supposed equivalent to the BAFTAs, Grammys, Oscars and the rest, one of this year's contenders, Anthony Payne, remarked that he'd never previously won any prize or award of any kind and, since he must have been around 70 when he said this, the extent to which they have any meaningful relevance in the long run is presumably clear.
It's not clear to me (i.e. I don't see what you're getting at). These particular awards have only been running for 8 or 9 years, so obviously neither Tony Payne nor anyone else won one before that.

I'm pretty sure Tim Minchin is not English. At the very least, he all growed up in Austraya.
The Scottish composers aren't English either. ::) But actually, I think anyone born in the UK or resident here for at least 5 years is eligible.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 09:54:55 am by JSC »
Auch Engeln sind immer unterwegs.

Selva Oscura

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 09:56:40 am »
Goodness you're a miserable bunch aren't you? There's at least a handful of excellent pieces/composers on that list. I was up for a nuanced/detailed discussion about things that we might have liked to see included but that weren't, or things on the list that raised eyebrows (there are at least a couple of those for me), but if you're all just going to dismiss the list full stop then I'll go and talk about it somewhere else.
I'm not just dismissing this list, I'm dismissing all such lists.  :)

Offline ahinton

• View Profile
    • The Sorabji Archive
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:04:00 am »
It's not clear to me (i.e. I don't see what you're getting at). These particular awards have only been running for 8 or 9 years, so obviously neither Tony Payne nor anyone else won one before that.
These particular awards, yes - but Tony was referring to all such awards (or rather the asbence of them) over his entire career, perhaps along lines that could even be taken to be broadly analogous to Selva's dismissal of all such lists.

For the record, my comments here (such as they are) have not been fuelled by the consumption of sour grapes and I do in any case agree with you that there are some worthy contenders in the list as far aas it goes; I'm just not so sure what such a list and the forthcoming nominations therefrom can really tell us about British compositional life, that's all...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:07:05 am by ahinton »

Offline martle

• Green Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:24 am »
Meh, really. I think Jack's right in saying that the list isn't wholly predictable and that there are some unusual and interesting selections. But the problem with these things for me is illustrated by the moral impossibility the panel is going to face in awarding the Community/Education prize to anyone other than David Bedford (RIP).
Green. Always green.

simon howard

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 10:36:01 am »
I just don't like people giving other people prizes. But I don't know enough about the composers on the list to have commented, so sorry :-[.

[edit: I don't want to drag this away from the subject of the British Composer Awards, but a last word to explain myself. I don't like awards or prizes because they involve a separation of one kind of human activity from other kinds of human activity, or 'creative' work from 'non-creative' work. & suggest to me that composers, musicians, novelists, poets etc. deserve awards - other people don't. I'll shut up now].
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:00:21 am by simon howard »

Offline Wasistlos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 10:59:14 am »

Obviously all the usual caveats about awards/prizes not really mattering apply here too; but I think there is something to be said for the public peer-recognition that comes with it. Composing (or any art) can be a lonely, thankless road to follow at times, and surely only the grittiest curmudgeon would begrudge their colleagues a moment of satisfaction at his or her achievements.

I'm sad to say I've only heard one piece on that list, and that only via a radio broadcast (and a recording gratefully received from this thread's originator); but glad that it was Julian Anderson's Fantasias, which I found more thrilling than any other new orchestral piece by a British composer since, well, Vanity I suppose, and that's going back a while  ;)

(The list also has a few former teachers and several colleagues of around the same age as me, so I wish them well.)

Something else about the list is revealing too - I suppose the reason I haven't heard most of these works is that I'd have had to get myself to London (or maybe Birmingham) to hear them (apart from one of the Suckling pieces and the Sweeney - it's my own fault I missed them probably) which serves as a reminder that for the most part, in the British new music establishment, if it ain't happening in London, it ain't happening. Perhaps this is unfair; but if the shortlist is based on the number of nominations, and the majority of those doing the nominating are based in or around London...though again I should put my hand up and say I've never nominated anything - maybe I'll start.

Also, the British Composer Awards always seem to have several multiple-nominees on the list (this year I count 3), as if only a couple of handfuls of composers are producing anything worthwhile in any given year. This cannot be right IMO, and I wonder how it comes about.

Anyway, an interesting list, and I'm going to try and catch as many of the pieces as I can if they are broadcast on R3.

Selva Oscura

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 11:19:17 am »
surely only the grittiest curmudgeon would begrudge their colleagues a moment of satisfaction at his or her achievements.
Call me a gritty curmudgeon, but it isn't a question of "achievement" so much as "being a name that a jury (chosen according to undisclosed priorities) can reach some kind of consensus on, which more often than not isn't the favourite choice of any of them, from a pool of nominations nominated by those who see it as their business to nominate for (one of the oddly-chosen categories in) this particular (kind of) award." If all of that didn't make the whole thing completely meaningless, behind it there's also the weirdness Simon points out, of people giving prizes to each other. I've seen this kind of process from most of the angles over the years, and I have to say I want nothing more to do with any of them. If that were the kind of "satisfaction" I was after I'd have done something else with my life.

I tell a lie though: I did have one thought about the shortlist. Why is no prize being awarded in the "Sonic Art" category?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:20:52 am by Selva Oscura »