Author Topic: Stash of downloadable recordings  (Read 8432 times)

Offline Il Grande Inquisitor

• View Profile
Re: Stash of downloadable recordings
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »
Some more files from Jezetha of GMG.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=191b3b8d4da3c14fab1eab3e9fa335ca5742b1295e67a80f

including a Shostakovich 4,

I'm fairly certain that this is a live DSCH4 from Kondrashin and the Concertgebouw, which can be found in the huge (and expensive) anthology of Concertgebouw recordings of the 1970s. If Ron were here, he'd urge you to download it. What the heck, I'll urge you to download it...it's an electrifying performance, even if you do know his Moscow one!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

autoharp

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 08:04:46 pm »
You're probably right. The thread from which it came certainly suggests it's Kondrashin (when two + two are added together).

Offline Bryn

• aka Nethersage
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 08:51:30 pm »
There is no doubt about it, it is the RCO/Kondrashin recording. However, how legal it is to download it is another matter. :(

autoharp

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 10:06:18 am »
I have just been made aware of a valuable stash of live concert recordings of piano music made by our member Jonathan Powell and available on his website.

http://jonathanpowell.wordpress.com/recordings/

which consists of the following:

Samuil Feinberg: Sonata no.7 (live in Moscow, September 2005)

Kaikhosru Sorabji: Passeggiata veneziana (live in Utrecht, February 2003)

Chopin: Polonaise-Fantaisie (live in Norfolk, UK, April 2007)

Michael Finnissy: Verdi Transcriptions, book I (live in London, October 2005)

Michael Finnissy: Verdi Transcriptions, book II (live in London, October 2005)

Medtner: Skazka op.35 no.4 (live in Moscow, September 2005)

Medtner: Canzona serenata (live in Moscow, September 2005)

Busoni: Berceuse (live in Utrecht, February 2003)

Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji: Opus clavicembalisticum (1930)
Live in New York, June 2004
I. Introito
II. Preludio corale
III. Fuga I
IV. Fantasia
V. Fuga II

Powell:  Sonata VI

White: Sonata no.14, live at Wilton’s Music Hall, April 2006 (world premiere)

Offline JSC

• View Profile
    • words for music / words for world
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 12:22:28 pm »
I'm not the White expert round here, but that shouldn't be a hundred and forty-something, rather than fourteen, should it??

Oh and incidentally:
This is another blog that is well worth following:

http://classicalintheair.blogspot.com/

Posting high quality recordings of mostly new music concerts from the radio. Too much to download, let alone listen too ...
I don't remember whether I ever tried to click on this before, but now when I do I get: "This blog is open to invited readers only." Anyone know anything about that?
Auch Engeln sind immer unterwegs.

autoharp

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 12:30:28 pm »
I'm not the White expert round here, but that shouldn't be a hundred and forty-something, rather than fourteen, should it??

No. it is no.14 (c.23 minutes long) which dates from 1960.

Offline j-rmit

• View Profile
    • The Rambler
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »
Oh and incidentally:
This is another blog that is well worth following:

http://classicalintheair.blogspot.com/

Posting high quality recordings of mostly new music concerts from the radio. Too much to download, let alone listen too ...
I don't remember whether I ever tried to click on this before, but now when I do I get: "This blog is open to invited readers only." Anyone know anything about that?

That happened a month or two ago. Nervousness over copyright issues, I think. I've not been invited, and I'm not sure how one would go about that.  :'(

Thanks Jonathan for sharing the live recordings (and Auto for advertising them!).
If he can write like that at 23, in 5 years he'll be ready to commit murder.

Offline perfect wagnerite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 04:16:24 pm »
. Nervousness over copyright issues, I think.

Which is not surprising in the light of this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2009/jul/27/filesharing-music-industry
As a young man I harbored the populist idea of writing for the public. I learned that the public didn't care. So I decided to write for myself. Since then people have gotten interested - Elliott Carter

Offline j-rmit

• View Profile
    • The Rambler
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 11:52:58 am »
Certainly understandable. Still, it's a shame that sharers of new music recordings from German radio should feel under the same pressure as those sharing Nirvana tracks.
If he can write like that at 23, in 5 years he'll be ready to commit murder.

autoharp

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 03:56:27 pm »
Here's a site accidentally discovered which offers a recording of Jani Christou's Phoenix Music, which by coincidence was posted on the Green Board by Gerard in a 1967 recording. This site appears to offer other thingies which some may find of interest (Duckworth, Spahlinger etc).

http://enantiodromie.blogspot.com/2008/05/jani-christou-symphony-no-1.html
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:24:36 pm by autoharp »

autoharp

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 05:29:38 pm »
evanj drew attention to http://highponytail.blogspot.com/ on M&S. Amongst other things, it offers different versions of the Barraque Sonata and the incomparable Wanda Wilkomirska playing the Szymanowski Mythes. Trouble is I can't seem to access them. Any tips?

Selva Oscura

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2009, 05:46:12 pm »
evanj drew attention to http://highponytail.blogspot.com/ on M&S. Amongst other things, it offers different versions of the Barraque Sonata and the incomparable Wanda Wilkomirska playing the Szymanowski Mythes. Trouble is I can't seem to access them. Any tips?

I've just:
(a) clicked on where the word HERE appears in green in the text under the cover picture of the Derek Bailey "In Whose Tradition" LP
(b) been transferred to a Mediafire download page
(c) clicked on "Download" which appeared when I moved the cursor over the icon for Side 1 of the LP
(d) begun to download a .zip file containing said Side 1.

How far did you get?

Offline Bleam

• tough on the17c., tough on the causes of the 17c.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2009, 06:37:53 pm »

I've just:
(a) clicked on where the word HERE appears in green in the text under the cover picture of the Derek Bailey "In Whose Tradition" LP
(b) been transferred to a Mediafire download page
(c) clicked on "Download" which appeared when I moved the cursor over the icon for Side 1 of the LP
(d) begun to download a .zip file containing said Side 1.

How far did you get?
Yesterday I downloaded the Ferneyhough - both files. It took a while, but everything worked OK. This also contained the score. Very cool. Thanks to evanj for the heads-up.

Selva Oscura

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 06:49:18 pm »
Yesterday I downloaded the Ferneyhough - both files. It took a while, but everything worked OK. This also contained the score. Very cool. Thanks to evanj for the heads-up.

Thanks indeed. I saw no score with this package though.

Offline Bleam

• tough on the17c., tough on the causes of the 17c.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2009, 07:02:33 pm »

Thanks indeed. I saw no score with this package though.
There's a folder called scans and inside, along with photos of the LP (front and back), includes the pdf of the score. I think it depends if you download the complete package or just the two files.