Author Topic: Proms 2011  (Read 19962 times)

Offline davetubaking

• View Profile
Re: Proms 2011
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2011, 08:49:07 pm »
Booking opened today - online, by phone or in person from 9am... so, if you were working and without internet access? Seriously dischuffed with this system and that there's no postal application system at all, and I missed out on the Brian 'Gothic' and Mahler 2. Tickets for William Tell restricted to seats 'on high' where the sound is crêpe, so I'm considering promming, although standing through Tell will be a challenge! I am reviewing the Verdi Requiem, though, so it's not all doom and gloom.

On the other hand, it's rather heartwarming to hear how the Gothic sold out so quickly, sending a clear message to Roger Wright... 'Why did it take so long to programme it?'

Gosh I was lucky then to get my £12 rear circle seat for the gothic.

Huh! Why not stand up and take it like an mensch? ;)
well I'd stand if I had to - but fortunately I don't. Anyways Brian is a composer who famously worked from the bottom upwards so I think sitting is the best way to listen.

Offline Don Basilio

• era solo un mio sospetto
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2011, 08:55:45 pm »
I hope to stand, and wait for any arrows to be shot at me.
We can exercise compassion, compassion born of empathy.  Both words are synonyms for love, by which I don’t mean a romantic feeling but the readiness to give proper attention to whoever or whatever is before our eyes.  Michael Mayne

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 02:30:00 pm »
Just heading off to join the arena queue for the first night.  How annoying that the Proms Plus event is ticket-only and fully booked.  It's never full until they send the staff over to recruit people from the queue so why don't they split the allocation in half instead of pandering to people who book but don't show up?

That's enough negativity.  I just had a pleasant lunch at the Japan Centre in Regent St (the bit below Piccadilly Circus, not the Northern part running down to Oxford Circus).  They have a loss-leader on Miso soup at 50p per cup and I also got a salmon rissole type thing (£1.60) and a huge vegetable tempura creation (£1.40) - making a decent lunch for £3.50.  Seating is very basic (indeed you might struggle to find a seat at busy times) but at those prices you'd be lucky to get grub from a supermarket to eat in the street or park.  Recommended, especially for those on a tight budget like mine:

http://blog.japancentre.com/2009/12/01/explore-the-new-japan-centre-on-regent-st/

hope to see some of you in the queue/arena over the coming weeks.

Offline marbleflugel

• 'The Moment this pub closes the revolution starts'
    • View Profile
    • forum london composers group
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 05:21:18 pm »
Enjoy-and Thanks for the Japan centre trip (although I'd have thought it'd be overrun with students at those proces). It's the Gothic tonight isnt it? I have a muso meeting but iplayer defo.

SimonH

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2011, 06:14:59 pm »
It's the Gothic tonight isnt it? I have a muso meeting but iplayer defo.

That's Sunday, marbs. Tonight it's Weir Brahms & Liszt (oh be still my aching sides) & Janáček's Glagolská mše. I'd like to hear the Janáček - Part I looks very bitty. 

Offline kleines c

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2011, 06:52:12 pm »
Well, I hope they sober up on time, SimonH.  Writing in 'The Mail', Rick Jones argues that Glastonbury is so middle class.  The Proms are the music festival with real street cred.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2014581/Glastonbury-middle-class--Proms-festival-real-street-cred.html

PS  It has just been pointed out that the Glastonbury site is to be ploughed up to grow wheat next year, not an attractive option for the Royal Albert Hall, though whether the subsequent crop will fall within current limits for organic contaminations remains to be seen.

Funnily enough, this year was the first for many when a tonne of milling wheat could fetch enough to buy one a ticket to Glastonbury, not to mention a season ticket to the proms.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:02:19 pm by kleines c »

Offline Bryn

• aka Nethersage
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 07:52:20 pm »
It's about time Boughton operas returned to Glastonbury.

Offline chivhu

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 10:08:58 pm »
That's Sunday, marbs. Tonight it's Weir Brahms & Liszt (oh be still my aching sides) & Janáček's Glagolská mše. I'd like to hear the Janáček - Part I looks very bitty. 

Very true - I would have liked to have heard a bit more Benjamin Grosvenor, who gave a phenomenal performance of the Lizst. (and the encore).  But the Janacek was the highlight of the night: Czech conductor, Czech soloists... tremendous, uplifting as well as really virtuosic.

PS Katie Derham got in early on the Brahms and L reference and as usual gave a good intro.  It's nice to have someone who actually is knowledgeable about music instead of jyst following a script.

Offline perfect wagnerite

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2011, 10:19:37 pm »
The Janacek was good, I thought - a performance of real power and impact.  I particularly enjoyed David Goode's knockout organ solo - and it was excellent to see Jan Martinik, one of the real stars of the 2009 Cardiff Singer of the World, singing the bass solos.

TV presentation seemed fine - people at certain other MBs get terribly worked up about Katie Derham for reasons I can can never fathom; she always seems to me to do a perfectly professional and decent job.
As a young man I harbored the populist idea of writing for the public. I learned that the public didn't care. So I decided to write for myself. Since then people have gotten interested - Elliott Carter

Offline Bryn

• aka Nethersage
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 11:56:27 pm »
Good to hear the new critical edition of the Janacek. Broadly similar to the Wingfield edition, but with some glaring differences, such as the omission of the Intrada at the start.

Offline marbleflugel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2011, 12:57:59 am »
Recalling her days at Classic FM.I suspect it was just a very well rehearsed script, but at least she made the effort. I hope to squeeze in to hear the Gothic, Thanks Guys.

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2011, 07:40:34 am »
A few practical observations (hope to report on Prom 1 when I have more time but I will say for now that the Janacek sounded wonderful from the Arena):

....Glastonbury site is to be ploughed up to grow wheat next year, not an attractive option for the Royal Albert Hall....

Well, someone has decided this would be an appropriate time to plough up Exhibition Road so anyone going to/from the RAH/South Ken station should note that it might take extra time because pedestrians are reduced almost to single file as they approach Prince Consort Road.  Those who know the way from Gloucester Road might find it more convenient to get off the tube there.

I hope to squeeze in to hear the Gothic, Thanks Guys.

A slip of paper was given to prommers yesterday warning that "Due to the staging and production requirements for 'The Gothic' on Sunday, Prom 4 will have limited Promming capacity.  For this Prom we will not sell to the Arena or Gallery day queues until 20 minutes before the concert subject to availability"

Obviously they don't think the usual system will allow them to guarantee entry to season ticket holders so if a huge number of STHs turn up then day places might be very limited.  Otoh they might frighten so many people away that the Arena & Gallery don't fill up at all!  I'm taking no chances so I grabbed a couple of returns from the Box Office and will be deserting the Arena for the Stalls.  But anyone thinking of day promming might want to consider turning up very early.

Offline Bryn

• aka Nethersage
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2011, 08:32:18 am »
The two previous RAH performances of The Gothic did not involve any noticeable reduction in the seating area of the Arena. Why its capacity should be reduced for this performance eludes me. I can see how offering the four additional bands, rather than grouping them into two as in the previous RAH performances, might possibly affect the Gallery, but even then, not by much.

Offline marbleflugel

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2011, 09:44:56 am »
HtoHe, Thanks for the heads up on the travel situation. I'd really like to hear this live, but I can imagine the extremists among the front of house staff having a field day. A relay screen in Kensington Gardens would be a good idea for the big stuff I'd have thought, or even cinema licensing as with the Met.

Offline chivhu

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2011, 12:04:24 pm »
Recalling her days at Classic FM.I suspect it was just a very well rehearsed script, but at least she made the effort. I hope to squeeze in to hear the Gothic, Thanks Guys.

She has has some musical training, which makes a difference.