Author Topic: Now spinning ...  (Read 877717 times)

Offline oliver sudden

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Now spinning ...
« Reply #11565 on: August 04, 2017, 01:13:03 pm »
How come you got a mention for recognising the back end of Berg's Violin Concerto reversed, but my email with the same answer got a mere acknowledgement of receipt.  :scream:  :naughty:

A mixture of dumb luck and the fact that I was sitting at the computer as it played, so my tweet went out a couple of seconds after the violin's top G became properly audible.

And presumably a touch of Sod's Law in that shortly after sending off the tweet my internet radio went down so that I was unable to enjoy my few seconds of fame.

Offline ambootia

• View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: August 12, 2017, 11:34:05 am »
I'm enjoying very much 'tangere' - CPE Bach played by Lubimov.

I haven't a vast knowledge of various performers of CPE Bach etc, so would be interested in other's opinions of this performance. I like the sound the keyboard.

Otherwise like a keyboard player who is at home with Skriabin ( I heard him live at a concert playing o.a. Prometheus and was quite impressed) and C.P.E  :)

Offline Walter Od

• View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: August 13, 2017, 10:33:34 pm »
Debussy, Dutilleux and Ravel string quartets played by the Belcea Quartet.

Awesome music played wonderfully.

Offline oliver sudden

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: August 14, 2017, 08:22:51 pm »
I can recommend their Bartóks. Indeed I may have done so in print at some point.

Offline Bryn

• aka Nethersage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: August 14, 2017, 09:53:24 pm »
I can recommend their Bartóks. Indeed I may have done so in print at some point.

Pre-ordered[sic] 'em as soon as I read of their impeding release around a decade ago. Very fine indeed. Have you heard the Praga Digital 'Genuine Stereo Lab' re-masters of the1954 Vegh set? Very impressive in both performance and sound quality. I had/have misgivings re. their provenance but eventually got a reply to my email to them questioning a 1954 Columbia stereo original in which it was claimed that there were indeed stereo masters made in tandem with the mono mix issued on LP. The stereo recording was said to have been made for a potential US Angel release that never came to fruition. Whether true early stereo experimentation or cleverly re-engineered mono, they offer a considerable improvement in audio quality to the mono M & A or Scribendum transfers.

Offline oliver sudden

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: August 15, 2017, 10:22:13 am »
Oho! I shall keep a lookout.

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: August 18, 2017, 03:15:15 pm »
Bert Harrisonwistle's "Gawain", in the live Barbican performance as was broadcast on R3 a couple of years back. As bloomin' marvellous as it was in the hall...

Offline Walter Od

• View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: August 18, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »
Bitches Brew feels like you're being vouchsafed profound, arcane philosophical truths.

This ^^

Except today Bitches Brew felt more about what's mysterious and unknowable about the universe... it inhabits a dimension of expression that is entirely its own, that is unique, that is mysterious... (and profoundly beautiful).

Offline Stanley Stewart

• View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: August 19, 2017, 01:22:54 pm »
*11571.  Thanks, Jim.  A timely reminder that I must revisit my off-air DVD of Gawain, ROH, 1991, BBC 2, -incl the mention of 'stereo' in the logo- with John Tomlinson in his prime as the Green Knight.   A fascinating intro by Jeremy Isaacs, ROH GD at the time.  He visited Harrison Birtwistle at his summer residence in the South of France although HB anticipated a thumbs-down for Gawain due to the expensive costs and comparison with Parsifal as part of the equation.    Isaacs studied the libretto, (David Hansent), and was overwhelmed by the density of HD's notes on the score.  The composer eager to discuss casting as he composed for the range of voices he heard in his head!  It remains a complex work of a dark journey and must surely survive in the repertoire.

Coincidentally, I see that Forbidden Planet, 1956, is scheduled for screening this afternoon, BBC 2, 13.45hrs, TODAY, 19 Aug  - hopefully in widescreen format as I recall its splendour in this format, a classic sci-fi adventure derived from Shakespeare's, The Tempest!   :naughty:  Must set the HD recorder,

Offline Bryn

• aka Nethersage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11574 on: August 19, 2017, 02:52:02 pm »
*11571.  Thanks, Jim.  A timely reminder that I must revisit my off-air DVD of Gawain, ROH, 1991, BBC 2, -incl the mention of 'stereo' in the logo- with John Tomlinson in his prime as the Green Knight.   A fascinating intro by Jeremy Isaacs, ROH GD at the time.  He visited Harrison Birtwistle at his summer residence in the South of France although HB anticipated a thumbs-down for Gawain due to the expensive costs and comparison with Parsifal as part of the equation.    Isaacs studied the libretto, (David Hansent), and was overwhelmed by the density of HD's notes on the score.  The composer eager to discuss casting as he composed for the range of voices he heard in his head!  It remains a complex work of a dark journey and must surely survive in the repertoire.

Coincidentally, I see that Forbidden Planet, 1956, is scheduled for screening this afternoon, BBC 2, 13.45hrs, TODAY, 19 Aug  - hopefully in widescreen format as I recall its splendour in this format, a classic sci-fi adventure derived from Shakespeare's, The Tempest!   :naughty:  Must set the HD recorder,

I wish I had found this post earlier. Superb print, and wide screen indeed! Missed the first hour or so.  :(

Offline Stanley Stewart

• View Profile
« Reply #11575 on: August 19, 2017, 04:09:58 pm »
Yes, Forbidden Planet remains compulsive and such an imaginative project despite the lack of CG effects and it was a pleasure to see Walter Pidgeon again with such a natural presence and authority; even chuckled to see Leslie Nielsen, many years before his delicious buffoonery in The Naked Gun series!  :)

Offline Walter Od

• View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: August 19, 2017, 08:00:28 pm »
Hiketidès by Xenakis, the final composition of the final disk of the orchestral works - an awesome way to finish.

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: August 19, 2017, 10:21:30 pm »
Yes, Forbidden Planet remains compulsive and such an imaginative project despite the lack of CG effects and it was a pleasure to see Walter Pidgeon again with such a natural presence and authority; even chuckled to see Leslie Nielsen, many years before his delicious buffoonery in The Naked Gun series!  :)

Didn't see Forbidden Planet scheduled on the Beeb, but in any case, I have the Blu-ray, which maintains the film's 'scope photography. Haven't watched it for a while - but thanks for the reminder, Stanley, I'll have to stick it up on my projector some time soon. The extras on the Blu-ray are pretty chocka, including a very silly feature film called The Invisible Boy from one year after Forbidden Planet, a (ahem) star vehicle for the earlier film's Robby the Robot.

Offline Jonathan

• Yes, I am still Lisztening!!
    • View Profile
    • Welshells
« Reply #11578 on: August 20, 2017, 11:55:01 am »
A CD I've been invited to review for the Liszt Society - it's called "Consolation" and the pianist is Grace Francis.  The programme is Brahms: Piano Sonata no.3, Liszt - Consolation no.3 and the Liszt Sonata.  First impressions, very good.
Best regards,
Jonathan

Offline Bryn

• aka Nethersage
    • View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: August 20, 2017, 02:41:14 pm »
Hiketidès by Xenakis, the final composition of the final disk of the orchestral works - an awesome way to finish.

I note that there is currently a "Used: Like New" copy of the 5 disc set up for grabs on amazon.co.uk for £65. Did I not already have the separate discs (for which I paid somewhat less) I would jump at this.

Now spinning (from CD onto hard drive as backup), the most recent timpani Xenakis CD, the piano works played by Stéphanos Thomopoulos. I'll pop it in the CD player a little later.

[All 6 timpani Xenakis CDs now successfully backed up onto a single DVD+R using Audio DVD Creator, which does the up-sampling to 48kHz in the process.,]
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:15:28 pm by Bryn »