Author Topic: Coming up....  (Read 17236 times)

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
Re: Coming up....
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2016, 08:29:15 pm »
I can make allowances for differences of opinion, but the review that declared ‘Lorca rewrite places Billie Piper among her generation's very best’ had me spluttering.  How anyone could put Piper (33), on the evidence of a few portrayals of young, self-centred, present day English women remarkably like herself, in the same league as Gemma Arterton (30), Sheridan Smith (35), Ruth Wilson (34) or a few others of that generation I could mention I don’t know.   To bring things round to the topic, though; I just noticed that Arterton – with Hilde Wangel and The Duchess of Malfi as well as a couple of musicals on her cv – is Shaw’s Saint Joan at the Donmar in December.

http://www.donmarwarehouse.com/whats-on/donmar-warehouse/at-the-donmar/2016/saint-joan

This looks like being a rich month as Wilson (Stella Kowalski, Anna Christie etc) supposedly opens in Hedda Gabler at the NT then – though the website doesn’t seem very forthcoming about dates or when tickets go on sale.  The NT also has a new David Hare, The Red Barn, which I spotted some time ago but, rather foolishly, didn’t look at the credits as I thought it might be a re-working of the Maria Marten melodrama!  With Mark Strong in a major role and Hare (who seems to be everywhere) as writer this looks a hot ticket.  Fortunately it’s the Lyttelton so if I can’t get seats to suit there will be front row day seats.

Finally, the talented students of MMU have another exciting season coming up.  All living playwrights this season, all of whom I have liked and not a single piece I’ve seen before.  Hare is there again with The Blue Room – which I might have gone to see some time ago but wasn’t keen enough to queue up overnight with all the people keen to see Nicole Kidman in the altogether. 

http://www.capitoltheatre.mmu.ac.uk/

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2016, 03:58:40 pm »
An email from the National Theatre today announces a new production of "Follies" next year, starring Imelda Staunton, Janie Dee and Philip Quast.

Ah well, the credit card's going to have to take a pounding for that, then!

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 13, 2016, 08:46:11 pm »
Follies is not really my cup of tea but I'll be making sure I finally get to see Ms Staunton on stage - as Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? at the Harold Pinter from February.  And I will, after all and in very unusual circumstances, be seeing Glenda Jackson as King Lear.  Last Saturday I got a call from the Old Vic to tell me that yesterday's matinee of No's Knife had been cancelled and when I asked for an explanation it wasn't hard, reading between the lines, to conclude that this was done purely for the convenience of the production company.  I made my dissatisfaction very clear - after all, there can be few justifications for the company's convenience coming before that of advance bookers - but was still quite surprised when I was contacted again and offered almost any other production and date of my choice as compensation for my inconvenience.  I quickly extended my visit at the end of the month, arriving a day earlier so I could take advantage of this offer.  I'm still unhappy with Lisa Dwan and co. (when will I ever get the chance to see this production now?) but I must take my hat off to the theatre for going further than most would to rectify things.  I always had Glenda's 'Lear' on my long list but my budget wouldn't ordinarily have run to a good stalls seat on a Friday night (I usually get a senior concession for midweek matinees at the Old Vic but there are hardly any midweek matinees for this production).

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2017, 09:21:21 pm »
I remember mentioning the mysterious disappearance of Peter Terson from public consciousness – not one of this once-prolific playwright’s scripts is on the shelves of the NT shop, for example.  I was excited, therefore, to see that his work is back on stage.  It is, it must be said, his most famous piece, Zigger Zagger, and it’s only a very short run at Wilton’s in Whitechapel.  But it is, at least, something – and it’s done by the National Youth Theatre to celebrate the fact that that body is still around half a century after they gave the piece its premiere.  I’ve already booked:

https://www.wiltons.org.uk/whatson/329-zigger-zagger

Around the same time another relatively neglected playwright has a revival at the Orange Tree:

https://www.orangetreetheatre.co.uk/whats-on/the-march-on-russia

Coming back up to date, some of you might remember my being impressed by Vicky Jones’s debut effort The One.  Well, she has another piece at the Soho.  It’s being marketed, quite successfully, on the back of Jones’s association with Phoebe Waller-Bridge whose Fleabag – while, imo, not a patch on The One – has achieved a certain notoriety and a TV adaptation:

http://www.sohotheatre.com/whats-on/touch/

Chichester is putting on The Norman Conquests – including 7 trilogy days in the run.  I’ll be trying to get to one of them:

https://www.cft.org.uk/the-norman-conquests

Meanwhile, the Menier is putting on yet another Florian Zeller/Christopher Hampton piece, The Lie.  Public booking opens next week and, if previous similar productions are anything to go by, it might be as well to get in early if you want to see it in the Chocolate Factory’s cosy space:

https://www.menierchocolatefactory.com/Online/default.asp

Finally, a body called the Cervantes theatre is taking on The House of Bernarda Alba with alternating performances in English and Spanish.  Ambitious, to say the least!

http://www.cervantestheatre.com/home/?page_id=95

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2017, 12:47:42 pm »
Looks great, though I'm a bit sceptical about Mangan as Goldberg.  When I first heard the news I assumed he'd be Stanley.  Wanamaker will have to go some to beat Maggie Steed's Meg but I'm sure she'll be great.  I wonder who they've got as Lulu.

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2017, 12:55:50 pm »
I'm just excited by a Toby Jones Stanley...! :D

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2017, 10:23:53 am »

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2017, 12:10:21 pm »
Thanks, Jim.  I was actually told about this yesterday.  I’ve never heard of her, which is hardly surprising as I’ve watched about half a dozen TV programmes in the last half decade and mention of The Doctor’s glamorous assistant still makes me think of the late, lamented Liz Sladen.  I was hoping for someone like Jodie McNee or Kate O’Flynn but, hey, at least it’s not Billie Piper.  Just Petey and McCann to cast, then.  Any truth in the rumour that Dennis Waterman put in for the latter?  He’s getting on a bit but he says he’s played McCann before and, as a bonus, he could write the theme tune, sing the theme tune…

Offline Jim Penn

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2017, 01:15:23 pm »
Mackie rather grew on me during the last runic Dr Who, so I think she'll be fine as Lulu (though nothing on my fave, Julie Walters in the BBC version from the late 80s, I think).

Waterman probably just thinks McCann is the same Terry McCann he played in Minder!!

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2017, 09:56:47 pm »
she'll be fine as Lulu (though nothing on my fave, Julie Walters in the BBC version from the late 80s, I think).

Yes, very good. But with, inter alia, Peggy Ashcroft as Meg, Ken Cranham as Stanley and one H. Pinter as Goldberg she was in a cast of a quality that few theatres could put together even for a limited season.  Danusia Samal was decent enough in the Royal Exchange production with Maggie Steed that I mentioned earlier but Lulu is probably not a role you'd want to play more than once.  Which reminds me, Ms Steed was in the recent radio adaptation with....Toby Jones.

Waterman probably just thinks McCann is the same Terry McCann he played in Minder!!

Just to clarify...I was sort of playing on the similarity of the surnames (and the Little Britain spoof of Waterman).  DW has not, of course, auditioned for the part.  I remember him on stage, though.  When I worked in a pub near the Old Vic he was in a revival of Same Time Next Year playing the Michael Crawford part with Rula as his Michelle Dotrice.  I think they were still married then though how well they were getting on might have been indicated by the fact that he dashed over to the pub for a swift one at, it seemed, every interval.

Offline HtoHe

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2017, 02:38:57 pm »
Just spotted this.  Could be a disaster but I think it's unmissable!

http://charingcrosstheatre.co.uk/theatre/harold-and-maude

Ruth Gordon will be a hard act to follow but if anyone can....