Author Topic: The Soup Thread  (Read 22384 times)

Offline Morticia

• Administrator
  • The words you speak become the house you live in
    • View Profile
Re: The Soup Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 05:16:22 pm »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent ready made soup e.g. Waitrose, M&S, etc? A relative in hospital only really wants soup but the hospital soup is carp. They won't let me take in homemade because of Health and bluddy Safety ::) Ideas?

Antheil

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 05:30:14 pm »
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent ready made soup e.g. Waitrose, M&S, etc? A relative in hospital only really wants soup but the hospital soup is carp. They won't let me take in homemade because of Health and bluddy Safety ::) Ideas?

Not being much a soup fan, but I understand Covent Garden to be very good and you can get single portions, which is cool.  Supermarkets at the mo seem to have them  half price.  Otherwise Seeds of Change, which are also totally organic.  Or, from my childhood, Heinz tomato soup with a swirl of cream and a sprinking of parsley cured all ills.

Offline Bleam

• tough on the17c., tough on the causes of the 17c.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 06:07:46 pm »

[snip] but I understand Covent Garden to be very good
Ah yes, London or as 'EasyJet' calls it: Luton.  :D

Offline George Garnett

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 08:28:24 pm »

On the very rare occasions when I don't have a kettle of home-made broth puttering away on the organic Aga I have indulged in the M&S range: those ones in the (two portion) 600g plastic pots, not the tins. In fact I have I have a couple in the fridge at the moment. Let's see: Chicken, Mushroom and Rice, and Sweetcorn and Smoked Bacon. They normally slip down a treat (but then I thought Broccoli and Stilton was socially acceptable before I came here :o).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:38:42 pm by George Garnett »

Offline MabelJane

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 01:01:13 am »
Waitrose Chunky Vegetable is the best ready made soup I've tasted recently.
Best wishes to your relative for a speedy recovery.

Offline Morticia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 10:32:32 am »
Thanks for the suggestions y'all :-* I will venture out to forage.

Offline Mary Chambers

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 11:03:28 am »
Waitrose stock Tideford organic soups, which aren't as salty as some and come in single portions (quite big ones).

I'm a bit late, aren't I? I hope you find something suitable.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:05:36 am by Mary Chambers »

Offline martle

• Green Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 12:02:24 pm »
...and I'm even later, Mary. But the best one I've had recently, purchased entirely on a whim, was Tesco's pea and smoked ham soup. Me and my peas.  ::)
Green. Always green.

Offline George Garnett

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 12:43:53 pm »
Me and my peas.  ::)

"My peas and I", Martlesham ::)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:46:00 pm by George Garnett »

Milly Jones

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 12:50:47 pm »

On the very rare occasions when I don't have a kettle of home-made broth puttering away on the organic Aga I have indulged in the M&S range: those ones in the (two portion) 600g plastic pots, not the tins. In fact I have I have a couple in the fridge at the moment. Let's see: Chicken, Mushroom and Rice, and Sweetcorn and Smoked Bacon. They normally slip down a treat (but then I thought Broccoli and Stilton was socially acceptable before I came here :o).

Broccoli and stilton is my absolute favourite, George.   Does that tell an awful lot about our social standing?  :o

Offline George Garnett

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2009, 01:05:10 pm »
Broccoli and stilton is my absolute favourite, George.   Does that tell an awful lot about our social standing?  :o
I'm afraid so, Mills. One of our most distinguished gourmands gourmets, whose knowledge, expertise and taste I'd defer to in all nommy matters, gives it the thumbs down. We are below the reduced salt.

Offline martle

• Green Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 01:15:45 pm »
Plebs.

;D
Green. Always green.

Offline Morticia

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 03:10:00 pm »
This may sound like an odd request in that I'm asking about a pretty basic soup but ... I've been trying to hunt down a vegetable soup that I can get excited about. I'm not after a thick chunky one, neither do I want a clear broth. Something inbetween. Oh and I want it to waft comforting Brit kitchen smells while it's cooking. Does any of that make sense ??? I've a feeling this may be a soup fantasy here and I'm trying to recapture something that I thought I had in childhood. My mother never made soup so it can't be that.

Suggestions anyone?

Antheil

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 04:05:04 pm »
I think what you are after Mort is a cream of vegetable soup.  Here is a Waitrose recipe (you can omit the cream at the end.)  Needs to go through a sieve as well to get it really smooth.  I prefer creamed soups to chunky ones.  My mother used to make a potato and leek one which was really comforting.  Also you could perhaps include some split peas or red lentils?

http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Simple_Vegetable_Soup.aspx

Offline MabelJane

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 06:22:10 pm »
That Waitrose recipe is similar to my veg soups but I often include red lentils to thicken it and add to the nutritional value. I sometimes half-blend it with my wonderful soup blender so it's thicker but you still have some satisfying little pieces of veg. In the past I've stirred in a large knob of Philadelphia at the end to make it creamier - sounds horrid but I seem to recall it was rather nice.